- Continuing to Keep Hope Alive in Children, Youth and Families: A Word from Our Executive Director
- SHCDP A-STEP Develops and Implements STEM Project During the Spring
- Its All About Giving
- MLK Community Mural Project partners with Councilman and Sherwin-Williams to beautify the Hill District with SHCDP Youth
- Introducing Children to Poetry: A New Way of Creative Expression
- Pre-School Program's Fun in the Sun
- Children Showcasing their Talent: SEP Talent Show
- Jazz, Jazz and More Jazz
- PRIORITY: Providing Hope for Children and Youth
- Celebrating 15 Years of Hope: SHCDP's 15th Anniversary
- Q & A with the Rev. Johnnie Monroe
2011 Pre-School Summer Program
Pre-School Program's Fun in the Sun
During the Preschool Summer Enrichment Program, children explored many things, both inside and outside of the classroom. Children participated in math, writing, reading and art activities on a daily basis. Computer time was also scheduled into the program.
The many activities children participated in this summer included gardening, library trips, computer time, art fun, science fun, and water play. Children were engaged in physical activity on a daily basis in the forms of outdoor play as well as exercises and movement activities within the classroom.
Teachers made the classroom a mixture of learning and interaction. Children were allowed to play with the plethora of toys available to them and play games suitable for classroom context. Alongside the play were activities such as art projects that engaged the children’s minds and helped with motor skills. Visitors from the Police Department and Fire Department came to the classroom and gave presentations on safety issues, such as gun and fire safety.
Several field trips to local educational facilities took place this summer, including the Carnegie Science Center and Sports Works, the Children’s Museum, Theatre in South Park and the Aviary to give children the opportunity to explore the different areas of fun and learning.